The Beginning...

The Beginning...

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

something minded


What I never understood

Religion can be a fairly hot topic. Socially (in North America and most of Europe at least) if you are new to a group it is fairly well established that you don’t talk about politics or religion. Too many views, too many emotions. It isn’t a topic for the work place, nor for any social gathering that is supposed to stay nicey-nice. But I am about to talk about religion so if you are easily offended better stop reading now. However if you are not easily offended I have a few questions I would like you to consider. And please let me know where you see a flaw in my logic. Point of clarification for those who do not know if they are atheist or agnostic:
a.       Atheist- one who believes there is no deity.
b.      Agnostic- one who is not committed to a belief that there is or is not a deity.  

My question requires some context. Often I hear a similar complaint/sentiment from those who are atheist or agnostic. Which is that: religious people force their children to believe a certain way and don’t allow them to search out other ideas or beliefs (be they different religions or the belief that there is no deity.) I completely agree with this statement. I think that many religiously minded people force their children to adhere to a certain set of beliefs- thus inevitably pushing them away from said belief.  Now I am not saying that all religious parents do this, I recognise that many religious parents introduce their own beliefs to their children and teach them about said religion hoping that the children will adopt the same beliefs. The question that I have comes from the response I get to the questions I pose next. I ask how they will raise their children. And usually it starts off in a vain that I agree with ‘I will teach my children about what I believe and what other people believe’ but then it usually ends with ‘and I’ll explain that if they want to chant to an imaginary being in the sky than that is their business.’ 

·         How is teaching your children that religion is ridiculous any different than teaching your children that religion is good? (Because people who have said this to me honestly feel that they are being open minded and possess a clearer intellect.)

Pushing your religion on a child or belittling an entire set of beliefs (and by extension, a people) seems wrong to me. And both seem close minded.  I want to raise my children with a full understanding of what I believe and why I believe it. Because my religion is important to me. And I want them to explore other religious views and atheist views. I will be biased because my own research has led me to my religion, BUT I feel it is important not to mock or belittle other beliefs and allow an open exchange of thoughts and ideas. Why is it that when people say they are Open Minded, what they are really saying is that they think you are Close Minded, and what they should be saying is that we are all just Differently Minded?
Atheists do it, religious people do it, agnostics do it, I do it too.  But why, why do we do it?

ps I really like thepianoguys. Go listen to them. Here i'll make it easy for you


No comments:

Post a Comment