The Beginning...

The Beginning...

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Dreamy and Conquering



Here is the thing, my husband is dreamy. Here is the other thing, I like being a wife.
SOOOoo if you had known me very well when I was younger,(which most people did not- I am reserved) you would have known that I wanted to be the prime minister of Canada. Eventually, first a lawyer (obviously) or at the very least a big wig in a multi-national corporation. And I was very sure that through my success I could then have the contacts and means to help save a portion of the world. I am not lying, these were my goals. I am a fairly confident individual. Many of my ex-boyfriends pressured me, in that they wanted me to be a wife and a stay at home Mom. (Remember when I said most people didn't know me?)
Then this happened; I met Mr. Sollywood, he is dreamy. And he said to me 'hey, you want to be career driven, and successful and change the world? Go for it, I will support you in whatever way you want, I will be a stay at home dad if you want that too.' Which meant that I was free from the stupid stereo-type of Mollydom (or mollydoom) and could be the first legit female PM! Score! What is strange though is that now that I am free to do whatever I want. I realise that to some extent (and only some, I really am rather ambitious) I want to be a wife and mother. And here is the other thing. Which I learned from a poem by L.M.Alcott called 'The Kingdom' (this is just a portion of the poem)
"I do not ask for any crown.
But that which all may win;
Nor seek to conquer any world
Except the one within."

I realised that there is something greater and harder to conquer than the world. Something more noble. And so, although I still want a career. I have come to realise that I will gladly give it up for the goal and task that I set before myself. If I may. PS Margaret Thatcher Ulrich is my favourite Historian, she said this "Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History." That is possibly my favourite quote of all time. You should look her up, she is not dry like most historians (I can say that because I am one.) In fact she is awesome. Go- read her work- now- do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment