The Beginning...

The Beginning...

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Without music, life would be a mistake - Nietzsche

I don't know about you but I'll go through phases with music. I can track long term and short term ones. But I like music and like to listen to it everyday. I enjoy music where I can tell the artist has put themselves into the sound. Like all good art, music will capture an emotion the isn't satisfied verbally. I'm not a big fan of the "Andy Warhol" styles of music. That is, music created for mass production and sales purposes and ultimately without a soul. (And there's my thoughts on Andy Warhol, feel free to disagree if you will but he was totally in it for money and fame Actually, if you disagree with me about Andy Warhol then write it in the comment section below.) As of lately I have given less thought to musical genres. It seems a little odd to me to classify things as such. Even saying something is "Rock and Roll" can have such wide variation that 2 rock songs can sound completely different. Led Zeppelin is often considered the first heavy metal band and Stairway to Heaven as their leading ballad. When most think of heavy metal, thoughts of crunching, distorted guitars arise, angry vocals, fast beat and aggression. But that's not stairway. (you could argue the last minute or so that explodes but still...) Anyway, my point being, while I gravitate towards "rock" and away from "rap", I don't let genre tell me what type of music to like.
I could totally rant about music idea's for a long time but I'd rather share some that I've been enjoying lately and maybe it can enrich your life as I have felt it mine.
1. The Skids - The Saints are Coming. Classic punk at it's best. These guys belong with the ranks of the Ramones, The Sex Pistols and The Clash. Perhaps my thoughts on punk will come out in greater detail in the future. It's a fun ride.



2. The Foo Fighters - I Should Have Known. Founding member of the Foo Fighters was also the most well known drummer for Nirvana from Nevermind until the Kurt Cobain died. You may also know I've always been a big Nirvana fan since music first meant anything to me. Here is a song on their new album that gets Nirvana bass player Krist Novoselic and producer of Nevermind Butch Vig back together since Smells like teen spirit. The Cello is a great addition here



3. Break of Reality - Circles. Only Apocalyptica can rock cellos harder than these guys. And just maybe. If you like rockin cellos (which I've totally been diggin lately) but think Apocalyptica may be just a bit too heavy for you then check out these guys. You can go wrong.



That's enough for now. I've got a list of songs I want to praise but three at a time sounds good.
Whatever you're flavour is, I hope you can enjoy it. Maybe Mrs. Sollywood can share her current three songs next?.... and feel free to share any songs in comment that just move you. Not just what gets in your head but something that awakes and stirs something within you. That's when it's good music.

1 comment:

  1. I'm an everything kind of music listener too but far more main stream than you I think ;)
    I like a lot everything but I don't take the time to discover interesting music and wish I could venture away from the top 40 because it becomes very boring, fast.
    My fav's on my ipod right now are;
    Taylor Swift (she writes all her own music)
    Black eyed peas
    Simon and Garfunkle
    Joshua Radin
    AND Justin Bieber - (I don't care, bring it.)

    Linds :)

    ReplyDelete