The Beginning...

The Beginning...

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Suicide- A religious prospective.

I have found in my life that there are themes or events that seem to happen to me or around me more frequently than to others. Perhaps this is all in my head, maybe I just see the themes because I have an emotional connection to them. Either way there is something that you should all know.
I am about to be blunt- you've been warned. If you hold the view that those who commit suicide are selfish and awful people you are wrong. Please know this because at times I would like to scream it in your face. But as that would be rude and counter productive I will just calmly type it here. Let me also add that your opinion comes from a place that either lacks experience or compassion. However if you do hold this view, and choose to continue to, please keep it to yourself. You have NO IDEA how much it hurts and rips at the hearts of people who have experienced a loss due to suicide.
I offer this advise because many people want very much to be comforting, but are unaware of the damage that they do. Always it is the quiet listener who follows the promptings in their heart who helps to comfort those who stand in need of comfort. Never those who yell their opinions (however well intended) to those grieving.
I have personally experienced the great loss of someone who committed suicide. And through the grief and pain I learned to come to my Saviour for not just comfort and peace but for answers. (Just so you know sometimes the answers are the comfort and peace.) But here is what I have learned.

I believe the Lord will consider each case separately and judge the circumstances of each individual. I have sincerely sought direction from our Father in Heaven to help me understand. And I have come to know that these people have a place in the kingdom of our Father, and it is not one of darkness or despair, but one where they can receive comfort and happiness.

We do not know the extent to which the door is open for these particular people to grow and develop in righteousness until they possibly receive the blessings of exaltation. They committed a very serious sin, and some consequences of it may remain with them throughout eternity. Only our Father in Heaven knows the full answer to the questions our hearts ask regarding those who take their own lives.

But it is clear that hope exists. President Joseph F. Smith learned this important principle in vision he saw the work of salvation proceeding among the dead, and wrote:

“I beheld that the faithful elders of this dispensation, when they depart from mortal life, continue their labors in the preaching of the gospel of repentance and redemption, through the sacrifice of the Only Begotten Son of God, among those who are in darkness and under the bondage of sin in the great world of the spirits of the dead.

“The dead who repent will be redeemed through obedience to the ordinances of the house of God,

“And after they have paid the penalty of their transgressions, and are washed clean, shall receive a reward according to their works, for they are heirs of salvation.” (D&C 138:57–59; italics added.) The act of taking ones life does not alone determine our place in heaven. All of what occurs in our hearts, minds, and lives are taken into account.

I am grateful for the great plan of salvation our Father in Heaven has provided for us. It is a plan of great fairness and a plan of great love. Please know that God really is our Father and has such great love and therefore such great compassion for us.

As I think about the worry and agony of those whose loved one has taken his or her own life, I find deep comfort and faith in the Lord’s promise and blessing to us who remain in mortality: “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” (John 14:27.)

Please know this; In individual events those who remain to mourn and grieve can turn to their Father in Heaven and may receive comfort and peace and ofttimes answers to their questions regarding the motives and eternal state of the souls of those they have lost. If you are not one of these people let it be known that you are not commanded to give your opinion, but rather to comfort those who stand in need of comfort. This will only be accomplished through quietly listening to 1. the person who is grieving and 2. to the prompting of the Holy Ghost.
My heart and prayers are with the Family of Chris Mitchell at this time. Rest in Peace Chris, I know that you will.

4 comments:

  1. I am not aware of any place in LDS doctrine where it says suicide is a sin. In fact I am under the impression, when discussing with an LDS counselor that the church doesn't state that those who end their lives are at fault, and like you said, that judgment rests in the loving hands of our Father in Heaven. Only He knows exactly what was going on and their true intent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, I should have been more clear. Suicide is not always a sin. Because sometimes there is no choice (in the regular sense of the idea of choice) There are other times when it is a choice however. Ballard's talk on suicide speaks of both instances. E solly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this e solly, i appreciate that you took the time to write those things. It's such a difficult subject to write about, I'm sure. I am pretty sure that it's one of the best things you've ever wrote on your blog! - awakening

    ReplyDelete