The Beginning...

The Beginning...

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

My argument against anti-immigration

So I've been interested in the whole Libya situation lately. When I read article online from various websites about it I also like to check out people comments. I do it on youtube also and there's alot of trolls out there. People turn into jerks when its anonymous. Anyway, I've noticed something common among the comments for stories about Libya. Its not just from these comments also. I've heard this argument from people in general and I find it abhorable. Here is a quote from a Yahoo user who sums up this view:

"Our forefathers faught and died to give us the lifestyle and freedom we enjoy today. Our generation is handing it away be letting immigrants change our laws and culture. Why do they leave their @#$% countries, then try to make ours like what they left?"
"Get rid of the idiot & all his family before they end up in Canada as refugees@ our expense !!"

It's the anti-immigrant argument. Sound familiar? Sometimes it's coupled with the "come to our country and learn our language or else" argument. It just chaps my hide a little. I've heard from both Americans and Canadians. Both countries that have their roots in immigration and multi-culturalism. Both countries also have also have a history of eugenics and cultural dominance that seem to contradict this but I think most of us recognize that as a mistake. (treatment of natives is the prime example but racism in general, also religious persecution) But these are things that I'm under the impression we (as north americans) feel is wrong and not part of our ideal so it's unfortunate to have happened. Call me naive if you will but I'm pretty sure that's one of the freedoms people have fought for.

Why do immigrants come here? Many reasons obviously but I'll generalize for a moment. Compared to many other countries, North America has a much higher standard of living. And I'm happy to live in Canada where I don't have to worry about obscene violence or even locking my doors at night. Imagine the relief that it would bring to escape a country of violence to a place that offers peace. I'm proud to be from a country that can claim that. It's not perfect but it's there. North America, as it's cultural and political system currently stands, was started by people who wanted a place could live freely and prosperously. So, it is a fallacious argument to use the motivations of the forefathers to claim anti-immigration. I call "ignotartio elenchi" on this one. (missing the point)

Let's look at the argument and ignore cultural origins for minute. Because you don't have to care about history to try to make that point. People who make this argument theoretically are saying they are okay with immigrants as long as they change who they are and act like the "rest of us". North America is a very individualistic society. But there is a surprising amount of conformity. I sometimes wonder if that's caused a kind of cultural cognitive dissonance. (Psychological tension created when an ideal doesn't match reality). Topic of another blog though... Lets do some circular logic now. Individualistic society telling people to be like them means they must be an individual and not be like them. IS YOUR BRAIN EXPLODING YET! Sounds like you are not being very north american if you are telling someone to be north american!

Here`s what it ultimately comes down to for me. People are people (Depeche Mode) no matter where they live. You can say we are all children of God or just say we are all the same species and genetically similar. Whatever works for you. But when you have the ability to offer something to help someone else (whether its opening a door to a building or a country) it is our civil, honourable and priviledge to do so. Anti-immigration arguments are essentially saying some people are not as good as other people. And nobody likes Hitler anymore. (except those neo-nazi weirdos)

Now, in all their 80`s glory - Depeche Mode!


I have to go to work now and can`t proof read this. Hope it makes sense!

1 comment:

  1. I get what you're saying, and yet I see the other side of the argument too. I don't think people should come here and conform, they have every right to be an individual, pursue their own religion, etc etc. But I have a problem with people coming to Canada and then asking the laws to be rewritten to accomodate people who have moved in a way that disadvantages Canadians. That sounds rude, so let me explain.

    When I was in highschool there was this hooplah about banning Christmas lights from houses because it offended some middle-eastern religion, and they didn't think we should be allowed to openly celebrate Christmas. The Lord's prayer is no longer said in schools (totally was when I was a kid) and they're not allowed to sing Christmas songs that are about Jesus, and not Santa. I object to this kind of conformity, and I think it reflects poorly on our society as a whole that, as a "country of minorities, we need to cater to the minorities" (roughly speaking, as Stephen Harper put it.) Since when is democracy about the minority? What is really happening is people are becoming apathetic about their country, and the minority is getting louder and louder and getting their way. And it's changing our country in a way that bothers me. I DON'T think we should be a melting pot, I think it's cruel to tell muslims they're not allowed to wear their religious head-dress because apparently it's a security issue. But I also think that it's unfair to move to a country whose values are SO different from yours (hey, you chose to come here for whatever reasons) and then expect that country to cater to YOU when YOU chose to come here.

    Again, I'm sounding rude. I don't mean to, I hope you're able to get what I'm saying. I'm not meaning to over-generalize, and I think that, SURE you can take your religious holidays off. Just don't expect to get paid for them AND the stat holidays that you're already getting when we all take our time off too. In short, don't take away OUR individuality and love for OUR religion in an effort to retain your own for yourself.

    -Holly G.

    ReplyDelete