The Beginning...

The Beginning...

Monday, June 20, 2011

Fathers

Father's Day is pretty sweet, this year we shared our two year anniversary with it (TWO YEARS!!). Crazy town. But as that will only happen every 7 years (except when the leap year messes that up), we thought that our Dads should get that day.

I love my Father. He is such a calm gentle soul. I think it was from him that I learned about unconditional love. He is so proud of me (which feels awesome, but slightly undeserved because I haven't really done anything awesome.) But it is strange the things he is proud of in me. It makes me realise his priorities and reminds me what mine should be. My father William David Manley, can not have a conversation with me without tearing up and telling me that he is so proud that I have a belief in Jesus Christ, and that I try to follow Him. He is a man who loves the Lord. My father always tells me how beeyewtiful I am and how I must get it from him because he is so good looking himself (which is totally true, he is a handsome man). It was hard for me to change my last name because it reminds me so much of my Dad. Dad has built a solid and good reputation with that name and ever since I was a little girl I have wanted my name (our name) to mean something too. It may seem odd to you but at 16 and 17 I would stick out my hand for a shake and say 'I give you my word' (and in my head add 'as a Manley') and when I do that I keep that promise. To this day my handshake is my solemn promise. I love my Father from his white hair, to his squinty twinkly eyes to his big round belly and deep into his heart. Happy Father's Day Daddy.

I have a step-father too. Maybe you didn't know that. I became his step-daughter when I was around 11 years old. We fought a lot when I was a teenager. But as I have (finally) matured I realise that he is a good man. William Carl Sauer treats my mother well, he loves his family and is a hard hard worker. I learned to work hard from his fine example and I love him. I wish that I could undo those years of being a ingrate.

My father is law is awesome. He is a very serious man, or so I thought. But I have come to realise that anyone who likes to drive fast while listening to rock, eat ice cream from the container, and get down on the ground and play with his grand kids can not be all that serious. I think that my favourite thing about David Walter Solomon is his smile. He loves people who are happy and he just beams at them back. He smiles so often this big fantastic smile. You should see it! He is a good husband and father, He has taught (by example) my own dear husband just what to do. I will be forever (we are sealed in a Temple of God for eternity) grateful that he has been such an amazing example of what a husband, father, man should be to his son(s).

My own dear husband. I am so excited to see him become a father (when it is right for us). He is so adorably nervous around infants and such a 'terrible' example to our nieces and nephews. He has taught my mild mannered and quiet nephew how to smash cars, rawr with dinosaurs, splash others with water and run around the house screaming to the horror of my sister and brother in law. But MAN do I love that about him.

There are many good men who have helped to raise me to be the woman I am. Christian Smith and Neal Schoen being among the greatest not mentioned above. I am fearful of the trend that is leading men away from their homes and families. I have relied on and cried with more 'fathers' than I have 'mothers'. I am a Daddy's girl. And I know that it is because of these good men that I can stand strong and be whatever I want. Career woman, leader, helper, commander, mother, wife, daughter, whatever. To good, honourable men!! Huzzah!


2 comments:

  1. I love the way you write and express yourself mrs sollywood. I was basically crying through that whole post. Now I must post about my dad!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete